Astronomical Adaptive Optics Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A central exchange forum for Astronomical AO scientists

Effects of outer scale on the decomposition of turbulence in Zernike polynomials

agriss

Effects of outer scale on the decomposition of turbulence in Zernike polynomials Empty Effects of outer scale on the decomposition of turbulence in Zernike polynomials

Post  agriss Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 am

Hi, I'll try to post again since my first attempt failed... :-(
    I almost finished reading a paper by R. Conan (2008) on the predictions of the residual rms when decomposing the turbulence in Zernike polynomials.
    It was interesting to see that there is a firm prediction for an pupil edge residual larger by 35% than the average rms over the pupil for an infinite outer scale. When L0 tends to decrease wrt the telescope diameter, the difference tends to decrease, and I wonder if this could be used to predict L0 with some simple experiment. He discusses the implications of this in the design of a system, in which the stroke needed in a DM should be based on the rms detected in the edge of the pupil instead of on the average rms. Interesting paper, and very didactic.. comments are welcome. And I apologize if this is basic, but I am learning the subject.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am